Scope of Applicability
- These Terms and Conditions govern contracts for the rental use of boardinghouse rooms for lodging purposes, as well as all other goods and services rendered by the boardinghouse for the customer.
- The prior written consent of the boardinghouse is required if rooms provided are to be sublet or rented to other parties or used other than for lodging purposes, whereby § 540, para. 1, sentence 2 German Civil Code is waived insofar as the customer is not a consumer.
- The customers general terms and conditions shall apply only if these are previously expressly agreed in writing.
Conclusion of Contract, Parties, Liability, Statute of Limitations
- The contract shall come into force upon the boardinghouses acceptance of the customers application. At its discretion, the boardinghouse may confirm the room reservation in writing.
- The parties to the contract are the boardinghouse and the customer. If a third party placed the order on behalf of the customer, then that party shall be liable vis-à-vis the boardinghouse for all obligations arising from the boardinghouse accommodation contract as joint and several debtor together with the customer, insofar as the boardinghouse has a corresponding statement by the third party.
- Any claims against the boardinghouse shall generally be time-barred one year after the commencement of the general statute of limitations dependent upon knowledge of § 199, para. 1 German Civil Code. Damage claims shall be time-barred after five years, independent of knowledge. The reduction of the statute of limitation periods shall not apply for claims which are based on an intentional or grossly negligent breach of obligation by the boardinghouse.
Services, Prices, Payment, Set-Off
- The boardinghouse is obligated to keep the rooms reserved by the customer available and to render the agreed services.
- The customer is obligated to pay the applicable or agreed boardinghouse prices for rooms provided and for other services used. This shall also apply to the boardinghouses services and outlays to third parties caused by the customer.
- The agreed prices include applicable value-added tax as required by law. If the period between conclusion and fulfillment of the contract exceeds four months and if the price generally charged by the boardinghouse for such services increases, then the boardinghouse may raise the contractually agreed price to a reasonable extent but not, however, by more than five percent.
- Moreover, the boardinghouse may change prices if the customer later wishes to make changes in the number of reserved rooms, the boardinghouses services, or the length of guests stay, and the boardinghouse consents to such changes.
- Boardinghouse invoices not showing a due date are payable and due in full within ten days of receipt. The boardinghouse shall be entitled at any time to make accumulating accounts receivable payable and due and to demand payment without undue delay. With default of payment, the boardinghouse shall be entitled to demand the respectively applicable statutory default interest in the amount of currently 8 percent or, with legal transactions with a consumer, in the amount of 5 percent above the base interest rate. The boardinghouse reserves the right to prove greater damage.
- The boardinghouse is entitled to require a reasonable advance payment or security deposit upon conclusion of the contract or thereafter, observing the legal provisions for package tours. The amount of the advance payment and payment dates may be agreed in writing in the contract.
- The customer may only set-off or reduce a claim by the boardinghouse with a claim which is undisputed or decided with final, res judicata effect.
Repudiation by Customer (Cancellation, Annulment)/Failure to Use Boardinghouse Services (No Show)
- Cancellation by the customer of the contract concluded with the boardinghouse requires the boardinghouses written consent. If such is not given, then the price agreed in the contract must be paid even if the customer does not avail himself of the contractual services. This shall not apply with the breach of obligation of the boardinghouse to take into account the rights, objects of legal protection and interests of the customer, if holding to the contract is no longer reasonable or another statutory or contractual cancellation right exists.
- To the extent the boardinghouse and customer agreed in writing upon a date for a cost-free cancellation of the contract, the customer may cancel the contract up to that date without incurring payment or damage compensation claims by the boardinghouse. The customers right of cancellation shall expire if he does not exercise his cancellation right in writing vis-à-vis the boardinghouse by the agreed date, insofar as no case pursuant to Nr. 1, sentence 3 supra exists.
- If rooms are not used by the customer, the boardinghouse must apply credit for the income from renting the rooms to other parties and also for saved expenses.
- At its discretion, the boardinghouse may demand the contractually agreed compensation and to make a flat-rate deduction for saved expenses. In this case, the customer is obligated to pay 90 percent of the contractually agreed rate for lodging with or without breakfast, 70 percent for room and half-board, and 60 percent for room and full-board arrangements. The customer is at liberty to show that the claim mentioned above was not created or not created in the amount demanded.
Repudiation by Boardinghouse
- To the extent that a right of cost-free cancellation within a certain period was agreed in writing for the customer, the boardinghouse is entitled for its part to cancel the contract during that period if there are inquiries from other customers regarding the contractually reserved rooms and the customer does not waive his right of rescission upon inquiry thereof by the boardinghouse.
- If an agreed advance payment or an advance payment demanded pursuant to Item III, Nr. 6 supra is not made even after a reasonable grace period set by the boardinghouse has expired, then the boardinghouse is likewise entitled to cancel the contract.
- Moreover, the boardinghouse is entitled to effect extraordinary cancellation of the contract for a materially
justifiable cause, e.g. if
- force majeure or other circumstances for which the boardinghouse is not responsible make it impossible to fulfill the contract;
- rooms are reserved with misleading or false information regarding material facts, such as the identity of the customer or the purpose;
- the boardinghouse has justified cause to believe that use of the boardinghouses services might jeopardize the smooth operation of the boardinghouse, its security or public reputation, without being attributable to the boardinghouses sphere of control or organization;
- there is a breach of the item I. Nr. 2 supra.
- The customer can derive no right to compensation from justified cancellation by the boardinghouse.
Room Availability, Delivery and Return
- The customer does not acquire the right to be provided specific rooms.
- Reserved rooms are available to the customer starting at 3:00 p.m. on the agreed arrival date. The customer does not have the right to earlier availability.
- Rooms must be vacated and made available to the boardinghouse no later than 12:00 noon on the agreed departure date. After that time, on the grounds of the delayed vacating of the room for use exceeding the contractual time, the boardinghouse may charge 50 percent of the full accommodation rate (list price) for the additional use of the room until 6:00 p.m. (after 6:00 p.m.: 100 percent). The customer is at liberty to show the boardinghouse that it incurred no or much lesser claim to use damages.
Liability of the Boardinghouse
- The boardinghouse is liable to exercise the duty of care of an ordinary merchant with the performance of its obligations arising from the contract. Claims of the customer for reimbursement of damages are precluded except for such which result from injury to life, body or health and the boardinghouse is responsible for the breach of the obligation, other damage which is caused from an intentional or grossly negligent breach of obligation and damage which is caused from an intentional or negligent breach of obligations of the boardinghouse which are typical for the contract. A breach of obligation of the boardinghouse is deemed to be the equivalent to a breach of a statutory representative or employee. Should disruptions or defects in the performance of the boardinghouse occur, the boardinghouse shall act to remedy such upon knowledge thereof or upon objection without undue delay by the customer. The customer shall be obliged to undertake actions reasonable for him to eliminate the disruption and to keep any possible damage at a minimum.
- The boardinghouse is liable to the customer for property brought in to the boardinghouse in accordance with the statutory provisions, i.e., up to one hundred times the room rate, not to exceed € 3.500 and up to € 800 for cash, securities and valuables. Cash, securities and valuables up to a maximum value of € 5,000 may be stored in the boardinghouse safe or room safe. The boardinghouse recommends that guests utilize this possibility. Liability claims expire unless the customer notifies the boardinghouse immediately after gaining knowledge of the loss, destruction, or damage (§ 703 German Civil Code). With regard to more extensive liability of the boardinghouse, Nr. 1, sentences 2 to 4 supra shall apply respectively.
- Insofar as a parking space is provided to the customer in the boardinghouse garage or a boardinghouse parking lot, this does not constitute a safekeeping agreement, even if a fee is exchanged. The boardinghouse assumes no liability for loss of or damage to motor vehicles parked or manoeuvred on the boardinghouses property, nor the contents thereof, except in cases of intent or gross negligence. Nr. 1, sentences 2 to 4 supra shall apply respectively.
- Wake-up calls are carried out by the boardinghouse with the greatest possible diligence. Messages, mail, and merchandise deliveries for guests are handled with care. The boardinghouse will deliver, hold, and for a fee forward such items (on request). Nr. 1, sentences 2 to 4 supra shall apply respectively.
- Amendments and supplements to the contract, the acceptance of applications, or these General Terms and Conditions for Boardinghouse Accommodation should be made in writing. Unilateral amendments and supplements by the customer are not valid.
- Place of performance and payment is the location of the boardinghouses registered office.
- In the event of dispute, including disputes for checks and bills of exchange, the courts at the location of the boardinghouses registered office shall have exclusive jurisdiction for commercial transactions. Insofar as a contracting party fulfils the requirements of § 38, para. 2 of the German Code of Civil Procedure and does not have a general venue within the country, the courts at the location of the boardinghouses registered office shall have jurisdiction.
- The contract is governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany. The application of the UN Convention on the International Sale of Goods and the conflict of laws are precluded.
- Should individual provisions of these General Terms and Conditions for Boardinghouse Accommodation be or become invalid or void, the validity of the remaining provisions shall remain unaffected thereby. The statutory provisions shall also be applicable.